- If a patient requests a summary of their care or a full medical record, staff must provide them with a “Patient Request for Personal Health Information/Medical Records Application Form” form and ask them to complete this form.
- Staff will advise the patient of any fee or cost that may be associated with their request.
- Requests will be given to the doctor for consideration and approval/refusal decision.
- The practice will respond to such a request within 30 days.
Where a patient is provided with access to their medical record and/or health information, the doctor or health professional may desire a meeting with the patient to clarify its contents and discuss any concerns with the patient.
Whilst patients do have a general right to access their information, our practice is not required to provide access if they reasonably believe:
- it would unreasonably impact the privacy of another
- it may threaten the life, health or safety of another or the public.
If the practice is considering refusing access we will obtain professional advice prior to communicating this to the patient.
Refusal to grant access will be communicated in writing with reasons and the process available for lodging a complaint.
Transferring of patient records
Patients who request to have their records transferred to another clinic are required to complete a signed request form which they must obtain from their new clinic. The new clinic will then provide that request form to our practice. Records will then be sent accordingly, either electronically or printed and sent via the mail whilst meeting our confidentiality requirements. There is a fee associated for this service.
Patients who wish to transfer to YDMG from another clinic will be given a YDMG request form to complete and sign, which is then forwarded to their original clinic. The patient’s original clinic may charge a fee for this.
Fees for this service
There are fees applicable for the above services. YDMGs “Release of/Access to Personal Health Information/Medical Records Fees & Charges Schedule” has set fees in accordance with the ‘HCC Fees to Access Health Information Checklist”. A copy of this schedule is available at Reception.